By ITIL® from Experience ©
Here are the top 10 errors made when starting a Configuration Management Database (CMDB).
Many organizations launch themselves into a CMDB implementation without a clear business goal simply because it is a fundamental enabler to ITIL® processes. Numerous organizations pour hours upon hours of sweat and effort trying to deliver the elusive benefits a rose-coloured vision of CMDB to eventually give up. Several could have been successful by starting on the right foot and avoiding the following mistakes.
- Only relying on ITL® Foundation knowledge
- Not reading the ITIL® Service Definition section 4.3 Service Assets and Configuration Management (page 89 in the 2011 Edition) - or- at least reading Chapter 7 on Configuration Management ITIL® version 2 (page 121).
- Not using the Internet to find ITIL® Configuration Management lessons learned like the articles at www.ITILfromExperience.com
- Failure to understand that building a Configuration Management Database simply to have a CMDB has no value since the real value of the CMDB is realized by making each process more effective.
- Not understanding that the scope and the content of the CMDB must be determined by the information each ITIL® processes needs.
- Loading data because it is simply available and that it can be loaded easily.
- Not identifying an owner for every Configuration Item (CI) before it is loaded.
- Not having a process to maintain data once loaded (see Why is the CMDB inaccurate).
- Thinking that automation is the secret to a successful CMDB (see Should we automatically import auto-discovered CIs in the CMDB).
- Thinking that automation is the silver bullet that will solve the CMDB problem and forgetting that the CMDB is not a technology project and that the process and people elements are key to its success (see How many Configuration Librarian(s) do we need).
And as a bonus:
- Forgetting to start with a strategy and plan (see We need a strategy and roadmap to implement a CMDB and We need a small-scale bite-size approach to populate the CMDB).
Published on: 2018-02-25
- Is there a book to help us prepare our CMDB project plan
- What are sample interview questions for a Configuration Management or CMDB consultant
- Should everyone be allowed to create CIs
- Which CIs to load first in the CMDB
- Is there a standard we can use for the CMDB structure
From Around the Web:
- Are you implementing a CMDB or a Process? https://www3.pinkelephant.com/ressource/pinklink/PDF/Implementing-CMDB-Or-Process.pdf
Copyright 2018 - ITIL® from Experience - D.Matte